[Advaita-l] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: Re: [advaitin] rope has some problem in rope snake analogy :-)

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 04:46:34 EST 2023

Namaste Venkat Ji,

Reg  //  In my opinion, bhAShyakAra's phrase buddhiparikalpitena, should
mean buddhyA parikalpitena and not necessarily buddhau parikalpitena, ie,
the snake is imagined *by* the mind, not that that snake is located *in* the
mind.

The context of my comment is, as you rightly point out, the
pratikarmavyavasthA that has been elaborately discussed by post Shankara
AchArya-s, involving artha and jnAna adhyAsa //,

I have a different understanding for the context of the phrase
buddhiparikalpitena. Especially since it applies (anvaya) to
मृद्घटाद्याकारेण also apart from सर्पाद्याकारेण. Sri SSS in his translation
cum commentary in kannada on Ch Up Bhashya specifically mentions so in
Footnote 3 (referring to buddhiparikalpitena in the Bhashya) as below
(translation mine)

// This visheshaNa applies (anvaya) to previous term also. kArya also is
budhikalpita. It is never distinct from kAraNa //. The ** previous term**
referred to is मृद्घटाद्याकारेण.

Contextually, in Ch Up, the mantra 6-2-3 // तदैक्षत बहु स्यां प्रजायेयेति
//, सत् (sat) which is One only becomes many while still maintaining its
status as One only. Entire Creation is सत् (sat) only (combination of
Chaitanya/Brahman and avyAkruta). It is vivarta with reference to
Chaitanya/Brahman or pariNAma with reference to avyAkruta. The pariNAma
transformation is of the Clay-Pot type, not Milk-Curd type.

In my understanding, the phrase buddhiparikalpitena does not apply to snake
per se. It refers to bheda buddhi amongst different forms the appearance
could take place instead of the rope (vivarta as in सर्पाद्याकारेण
illustration), namely snake, stick, garland, crack on the ground etc. In
case of clay (pariNAma as in मृद्घटाद्याकारेण illustration), the forms
could be pot, lump of clay etc. While all of them are rope (or clay) only,
buddhi distinguishes them as different entities. This bheda buddhi amongst
the forms instead of unity is addressed by the phrase buddhiparikalpitena.

I hope I have conveyed my understanding meaningfully.

Regards

On Tue, Dec 26, 2023 at 10:08 PM Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <