[Advaita-l] [advaitin] rope has some problem in rope snake analogy :-)

Vikram Jagannathan vikkyjagan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 10:22:24 EST 2023

Namaskaram Shri Bhaskar ji,

I am taking 'problem' to mean something different from the as-is true
nature of that entity. Could you please clarify what problem is said to
exist in the seen rope by others?

There are definitely characteristics of the rope that bring about the
remembrance of an earlier perceived snake. Adhyasa also is mutual, implying
some of the characteristics of the rope are superimposed on the imagined
snake as well. But none of this should be a 'problem' within the rope
itself per-se.

Apart from the sat-khyati-vadins, for all others there is not an iota of
the snake in the rope. What actually exists is just the true nature of the
rope as-is.

with humble prostrations,
Vikram