[Advaita-l] Jagadguru Speaks: Complete Surrender to the Lord Saves even a Sinner

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 2 22:10:52 EST 2023

(Around the beginning of the month, a nugget of Wisdom from the Jagadguru may be posted
on the Chaturamnaya list : http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/cgi-bin/listinfo/chaturamnaya )

It is only to ensure our welfare at all times that the sages of yore
have authored many Sastras, Itihasas and Puranas. There is no
doubt that a person who understands the import of these texts at
least to some extent, and lives in accordance, will benefit by them.

However, some people express doubt saying, "I have committed
many sins. Even if I were to act now in conformity with the
Hitopadesas, how can I be saved?”

In this regard, Lord Krishna says in the Gita:

अपि चेत्सुदुराचारो भजते मामनन्यभाक्‌ |
साधुरेव स मन्तव्यः सम्यग्व्यवसितो हि सः ॥

The Lord has thus assured us that even those who commit misdeeds
will be considered noble if they repent fully and reform and then
worship him with unwavering devotion. He who suffers a guilty
conscience for his past misdeeds and undergoes the necessary
repentance, cultivating an unflinching devotion to God, will
eventually become fit to receive the grace of the all-merciful Lord.
As he continues to walk the dharmic path, he attains peace.

We must always remember the Lord’s assurance in the Gita—

कौन्तेय प्रतिजानीहि न मे भक्तः प्रणश्यति |

Therefore, no one must waste his life cursing himself “an
ungrateful wretch” or “a sinner who cannot be saved” and so on.
The Lord's compassion is boundless! He will forgive and accept any
one who sincerely repents and submits to him.

Our blessings for all to understand this well and surrender to the Lord.

October 2017