[Advaita-l] Shankara accepts BhAvarUpa ajnana BSB 4.1.15

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 04:11:23 EDT 2023

Namaste V Subramanian ji,

1. This whole discussion of BSB 4.1.15 is valid only in
srishTi-drishTi-vAda. In drishTi-srishTi-vAda, which is the
mukhya-VedAnta-siddhAnta, prArabdha is not accepted to continue. There is
only one jIva and there can be no avidyA-lesha or bAdhita anuvritti post
cessation of ajnAna by jnAna.

2. Having said that, it no way contradicts bhAvarUpa-tva of ajnAna.

3. //the bAdhita or bAdhayogya mithyajnAna is not any abhAva but a bhAvarUpa
(akin to an existent).//

BhAvarUpa is not akin to an existent. It is as non-existent as horns of
hare. It merely appears to exist whereas abhAva does not appear to exist.

traikAlika-nishedha-pratiyogitvam implies utter non-existence of ajnAna.
Thus, bhAvarUpa is not akin to existent. It is non-existent.

4. The bhAvarUpatva of ajnAna is established by the fact that it is
sAkshi-bhAsya. It is neither sat nor asat.

However, existentially, it is same as asat. It is non-existent.

Regards.

On Wed, 30 Aug, 2023, 1:25 pm V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l, <