[Advaita-l] Fwd: ~ Vayu Purana I. 24.111. Shiva praised as the Lord of Sri and Hri and Lakshmi by Vishnu

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 09:14:20 EDT 2023

In the Vayu Purana there is a very lengthy stuti by Vishnu (along with
Brahmaa) of Shiva:

वायुपुराणम्/पूर्वार्धम्/अध्यायः २४
https://sa.wikisource.org/s/5my

Before the stuti, Vishnu tells Brahma that Shiva is the Seed provider,
Brahma is the seed and Vishnu is the yoni in which the seed is placed:

एष बीजी भवान् बीजमहं योनिः सनातनः।

नमोऽस्तु लक्ष्मीपतये श्रीमते ह्रीमते नमः।
बलाबलसमूहाय ह्यक्षोभ्यक्षोभणाय च ।। २४.१०९ ।।

Salutations to Lakshmipati, Shrimaan and Hreemaan.  (Says Vishnu addressing
Shiva)

When one reads the lengthy stuti one is reminded of many epithets appearing
in the Sri Rudram and Mahanarayana upanishat part: ईसानः
सर्वविद्यानामीश्वरः सर्वभूतानाम्.....(Here is where the lines umapataye
pashupataye etc. occur).

Quite the interesting reference I found lately. The epithets usually for
Vishnu being applied to Shiva in a puranic stuti. I believe this is an
interesting parallel to the Nrsimhatapiniya where Vishnu is praised with
Shaiva epithets like Umapati etc.  In the Purusha Suktam we find ह्रीश्च ते
लक्ष्मीश्च पत्न्यौ   Hree and Lakshmi are your consorts.  Sri Appayya
Dikshitar has said that the Purusha Suktam is an upasthaana mantram for
Rudra Homa.

Om Tat Sat

One can read the translation for just one or two verses here:
https://groups.google.com/g/advaitin/c/iXatjHwtgJY