[Advaita-l] "A very rare and important book for advaitins - Brahmānhikam"

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Aug 25 01:49:59 EDT 2023

On Fri, 14 Jul 2023, Venkateswaran Mahadevan via Advaita-l wrote:

> While reading the book "Vichāra sāgara" (sanskrit version), I came to know
> that the author "vasudeva Brahmendra saraswati swami" had authored 2 more
> classics. one among them is "Brahmānhikam" where the author has collected
> 467 ślokas from various source books (like suta samhita, yogavaṣsiṣtam,
> gita and many other sources) explaining the truths of the Advaita Vēdānta
> with a view that those who aspire for the attainment of moksha may daily
> recite these ślokas devoting attention to the contents of these ślokas. An
> earnest daily recital of these ślokas pave the way for moksha.

I am sorry for being so late in following up on this but list member
Venkateswaran Mahadevan brought the existence of this work, Brahmahnikam,
to my attention.  However though I searched the Internet and several major
libraries, I could not find any trace of it.

Later in a personal communication Shri Venkateswaran wrote

> I looked for the source in many places. I got a hint which Iwould
> like to share here. It seems like manuscripts from the library which Swami
> vasudeva brahmendra Saraswati maintained, most of it was given to government
> oriental manuscripts library, Madras which is Anna centenary library now.
> Someone can try there. Also in Adyar library Chennai. I was a member there
> but discontinued my member ship due to location shift. Or someone can try in
> the actual swamiji library which should be in present mayiladudurai.

Is there any local advaita-l reader who can investigate?  I think it would
be a great asset for sadhakas.  I know we have quite a few researchers and
post-graduate students amongst the membership I would think you could
profitably make this a Ph.D. thesis project.

Btw, the third work of Swami Vasudevendra Saraswati is a prose epitome of
Shri Appaya Dikshitas' Siddhantaleshasangraha called
shastrasiddhantaleshatatparyasangraha which is available on archive.org