[Advaita-l] Gaudapada and Shankara hold the waking objects to be mithya

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 06:25:04 EDT 2023

Namaste Bhaskar ji

Re:

>  Despite this clear cut explanation Sri SSS talks about continuation of
> jnana bAdhita mithyAjnAna (misconception which is sublated by paramArtha
> jnana) so here adhyastha mithyAjnAna NOT mithyAjnAnalesha ( please let me
> know where he uses the word 'mithyAjnAnalesha').

Do you mean that the meaning of mithyAjnAna is adhyAsa?

I don't think that can be the meaning because in the adhyAsa bhAShya,
Shankara says that viShaya viShayiNoritaretara bhAva (taddharmANAm
itaretarabhAvashca)  is mithyAjnAna-nimittah.

viShayaviShayiNor-itaretara-bhAva is adhyAsa. If mithyAjnAna also means
adhyAsa then the sentence will end up being - adhyAsa is adhyAsanimitta
(the cause of adhyAsa is adhyAsa) which doesn't make sense.

mithyAjnAna cannot also mean adhyAsa, it has to be something else.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan