[Advaita-l] Sabarimalai Ayyappa in Muthuswamy Dikshitar's song

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 12:44:21 EDT 2021

A composition of Sri Muthuswamy Dikshitar (24 March 1775 – 21 October 1835)
in the raga Kambhoji endorses the identity of Lord Ayyappan through the
line 'Hariharaputra jananIM' (Marakathavalli, Amba, is the mother of
Ayyappa. The father is Shiva, Hara. Certain interpretations of the song
suggest that She is Mohini, the form of Vishnu. One can read here the lines
and some discussions on certain aspects:Pallavi :Maragathavalli
Manasasmaraami Madana janakadhi devA Palini (Maraga)Charanam:Hari hrudhaye
Vesinim Mohinim Harihara puthra jananim NalinimKrura thaithyadhi brundha
mardhanim guruguhathinudha valli vasinimThe Meaning:I meditate in my mind
on Goddess MARAGATHAVALLI, who protects the gods like Vishnu, the Father of
Cupid, Who inspired in the hearts of Hari and SHE IS MOHINI. She is the
Mother of Sastha/ Hariharaputra ; is elegant one who destroys the hordes of
Asuras who resides in the Sacred Fire, which is Worshipped by Guruguha and
others.With the Meaning we can Infer that this Krithi is composed on
Mohini, the mother of Sastha.

https://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17144

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRuisAUgx7s Hear the song here.