[Advaita-l] true colour of Chameleon

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sun Sep 30 23:10:18 EDT 2018

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018, Abhyudaya Mandal via Advaita-l wrote:

> I conveyed that homosexuality is lesser of an adharma (if it is adharma at
> all to begin with)

The evidence shows that certain homosexual acts are adharmic while others
are tolerated.

> than dvijas not maintaining daily fires etc., or
> so-called traditional sannyasis not living the yati-lifestyle.

Now you are making a claim.  Based on what?  Explain your thought process.

> So if we feel the urge to criticize personal conduct, then we need not
> look as far as Pattanaik.

I am not aware of any quota on criticism.  Why can't we criticize both?

I must say however I am very intrigued by your efforts to get dvijas to
establish fire and I'm sure other members of the list would be too.  Can
you write more about this?

> The sexual orientation of an author has little to do with his ability to
> interpret any texts. Yes, it may inform and shape his interpretation, but
> it neither defines it nor invalidates it.

What "informs and shapes" an interpretation is more than enough grounds
to invalidate it.

The sources of dharma according to Smarta Sampradaya are Shruti, Smrti,
and Shishtachara.  Shruti is the Vedas.  Because they do not always provide
full information on the exact method of performing karmas, they are
supplemented by Smrtis (Including Purana, Itihasa etc.)  Who is a shishta?
One who by his examplary practice and knowledge of the tradition is capable of
impartially analyzing the meaning of Shruti and Smrti.

Noone in this thread has actually defended Patnaiks bona fides to
interpret anything.  If it turns out he is not himself living a dharmic
lifestyle it goes a long way (granted not all the way) towards explaining
why he is so often wrong.

> If we disagree with an author's interpretation, then we should respond
> to it without trying to demonize the author by mocking his sexual
> orientation (or gender or caste, for that matter). Venkata-ji's post --
> a news-article about the author's homosexuality plus the title "true
> color of a chameleon" -- is an ad hominem.

"demonize" and "mock" are hardly neutral descriptive terms either.  Why
should Venkatji hold himself to a higher standard than you are prepared to
follow?

Nevertheless I would agree that in theory atleast, the mere fact of
homosexuality should not be a disqualifier.  As I wrote previously, I was
impressed that Amaradasa Wilhelm made a good faith attempt to divine the
true astika position on this topic even if I didn't fully agree with him.
My experience however tells me that he is not particularly representative
of the kind of people pushing this agenda.